Monday, September 06, 2010

Melbourne Living

Hello from rainy Melbourne! Man, it's good to be back. Apart from a little wobble on the plane, when I had to lock myself in the loos and have a little cry, I have been loving every minute of being back in the homelands. In fact, I find myself wondering why I didn't come back sooner - bugger the passport, I was so ready to come home two years ago, when the exchange rate meant I would be 100% better off than I am now. Never mind. I'm here now, and I am thrilled to be ensconced in my family once more, and free to think about what to do next.

Free! What a wonderful and scary thing to be so unencumbered. I am consciously not looking for full time work, as I want to try some different things rather than getting stuck straight into the work/rent/gym/sleep treadmill. WWOOFing is one thing I'm taking steps towards trying for a bit. I love the idea of getting properly dirty on a daily basis, switching my overactive brain off and doing a physical job for a while. Writing, obviously... but possibly in some sort of semi-professional capacity. Study? Maybe. Teaching? Maybe.

But in the meantime, for the next 3 weeks or so, I'm lucky enough to be house sitting for friends of mine who live in a lovely property at the foot of the Dandenong Ranges, overlooking miles of hills and gumtrees, with kookaburras, rosellas and cockatoos making daily visits. I'll have nothing to do but take care of their two small mutts, sip mugs of hot tea and receive various visitors who want to escape the city for a day or two.

I can't wait.

* * * * *

nb. this post was prompted by a friend of our family, who admonished me for not updating my blog for a while! Apologies auntie Chek, hope you guys are all coping with the deluge.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Welcome back! As you can see, we put on some of Melbourne's best weather for you.

Enjoy that house-sitting, it sounds like paradise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...