Tuesday, April 15, 2008

This is jam hot

Just another day in my newly adopted home of Manhattan, a hint of Spring in the air despite the chill. Fresh cherry blossoms burst from their buds on the branches. The sun is warm when you are in it, but step into the shadow of a skyscraper and the temperature plummets.

I walk home from the office down 5th avenue and notice a bit of a hubbub down one of the cross streets. A whole lot of film paraphernalia lines one side of the street - boom mikes, light boxes, lots of people milling around looking busy. On the other side of the street is a mob holding assorted cameras aloft. At the front, the pros with their big black SLR's; at the back, the rabble holding mobile phones and compacts. New York City cops barking "How many times do I have to tell you guys to turn off ya flashes!"

At the focus of everyone's attention are Julia Roberts and Clive Owen, filming a scene from some movie (at a guess, some kind of espionage thriller, or possibly a neurotic rom com). She is tiny in a little black skirt and jacket - I know people always say that but I thought she was supposed to be tall! She ain't. She is wearing stilettos with heels so fine, I can't imagine how they bear her weight. Thinner than pencils. Then again, she probably weighs about as much as my laptop. Clive looks hot as always in a smart grey suit.

Just another day in the big bad city. Sorry to rub it in, but New York is turning out to be great.

3 comments:

The Girl said...

Wow - am trying not to be jealous! Sounds like you are on the adventure of a life time girl - have a drink somewhere fabulous for me!

Anna said...

How cool! Jealous....

KatBouska said...

Hi, I just wandered into your blog via Dooce and I am totally jealous! I used to think New York was too big and scary, but lately I've been warming up to it. I can't believe they were just right there filming a movie. How fun to watch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...