Thursday, June 14, 2007

Welcome to audio heaven

I have got four brilliant new CD's on rotation on my mini...wa-hey! I am love-love-loving all these discs and highly recommend any or all of them. Check out the links to hear what I'm talking about.

Saltbreakers - Laura Viers

I discovered Ms Viers at my local library a while back, and she does look a little bookish and librarian on the cover of her Year of Meteors album (quirky glasses, mousey hair, cardigan). But don't be fooled - her music is truthful, down to earth, and interesting to listen to (you can't say that about the Sugababes). Themes of nature, water, swimming and star-gazing abound. A soundtrack for floating in a private swimming hole at night time.

American Doll Posse - Tori Amos

Not everybody's cup of tea, but I love Tori and her endearingly kooky ways. This album is positively schizophrenic in its scope, but Tori has talent to burn. And here, she throws so many new ideas on the fire, the blaze can probably be seen from space.

Release the Stars - Rufus Wainwright

A little more commercial than previous albums, with production by Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys. Still, his back catalogue is stupendous, so Release the Stars easily earns the title of: "merely brilliant". Big, spangly, luscious - and all underscored by the gorgeously distinctive voice of the inimitable Rufus.

Memories and dust- Josh Pyke

I must admit, I wasn't expecting too much from this home grown singer/songwriter - I am ashamed to say that a bit of the old cultural cringe put me on my guard, despite my instant love of his Release the Wolves EP. But Memories and Dust is a joy to listen to. Hints of a less depressed Elliot Smith, a more sober Evan Dando and a less wise-assed Ben Lee run through this whimsical folk-rock album.

For those who are new to my blog - folk-rock is my bag, baby.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! very nice blog, i like your taste specially in design.

Regards from Barcelona!

http://www.undermynelo.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...